The DCI Download Site - Software for Discounted Cumulated Impact
University of Tampere, Department of Information Studies and Interactive Media (INFIM)
About DCI - Download - Researchers - Publications
The Discounted Cumulated Impact (DCI) index was proposed in 2008 as a research evaluation tool
(Järvelin, K., & Persson, O., 2008. The DCI index: Discounted cumulated impact-based research evaluation.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 59(9), 1433-1440). It is based on
the idea of devaluing old citations in a smooth and parameterizable way. It rewards a unit of analysis for
receiving new citations even if the cited publication is old. Further, it allows weighting of the citations
by the citation weight of the citing publication. The DCI index can be used to calculate research performance
on the basis of the h-core of a researcher, or any other publication data set for a researcher, like all
publications included in the Web of Science.
Download Package 1.0
Download the DCI software by clicking the link DCIzipfile.
The zip file contains two program files:
for performing the DCI calculations. In addition, there are sample files:
- the input file impact_vecs.txt for the former program,
- the input file dDCI_vecs_log1Point1.txt for the latter program,
- the output file (d)DCI_impact_vecs_log1Point1.txt of the former program, and
- the output file dDCINorm_vecs_log1Point1.txt of the latter program.
The README.txt (also included) explains the files and gives installation guidelines.
- Ahlgren, Per - homepage, (email@example.com)
Department of e-Resources, University Library, Stockholm University, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
- Järvelin, Kalervo - homepage, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Department of Information Studies and Interactive Media, University of Tampere, Finland
- Ahlgren, P. & Järvelin, K. (2010). Measuring Impact of 12 Information Scientists Using the DCI index.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST) 61(7): 1424-1439. DOI: 10.1002/asi.21333
- Järvelin, K. & Persson, O. (2008). The DCI-Index: Discounted Cumulated Impact based Research Evaluation. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST) 59(9): 1433-1440 (DOI: 10.1002/asi.20847). Erratum: JASIST 59(14): 2350-2352 (DOI: 10.1002/asi.20963).
Acknowledgement, citing and feedback
The DCI programs are free to use at the user's own and full risk. The authors assume no responsibility
whatsoever for their functioning or results. Any changes by the authors to the software are indicated at
the download site (only). When you use this software, we would appreciate two things from your part:
We would be happy to receive copies of your eventual reports and add them to the list of DCI publications above. For this purpose,
please find the contacts above. If you are keen enough to develop the software
further, please let us know as well.
- (a) a citation to the method in your eventual reports:
Järvelin, K., & Persson, O., 2008. The DCI index:
Discounted cumulated impact-based research evaluation.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science
and Technology, 59(9), 1433-1440), and
- (b) an acknowledgement in your eventual reports:
"Acknowledgement: The DCI software was made available
by courtesy of Per Ahlgren (C)."
Reader count .
Link to INFIM Homepage
Modified April 8, 2010 -- KJ